Saturday, September 8, 2012

Jaundice


Ugh.  It's hard for me to even post this picture.  Here is my beloved new son drinking formula.  Gross.  Well, Ryker's jaundice has not gotten any better so the doctor has diagnosed him with breastmilk jaundice.  I have never even heard of it before, but it does exist.  

We took him to the doctor on Thursday after noticing that and even the whites of his eyes are yellow!!!  Once again, he had his blood drawn and his bilirubin rate spiked up to 16 mg/dl (should be under 5 mg/dl.)  

One of the things you can do is suspend breastfeeding for 3 days in an attempt to "reboot" the digestive system.  That's what we will be doing this weekend.  We have another appointment on Monday to see if it works!

1 comment:

An Apel a Day said...

I have never heard of this either. Maybe that's what my boys had. They were little as well and both had jaundice issues.