Monday, September 3, 2012

Ryker is here!


Neil and I are proud to introduce our second son, Ryker Kaito! His middle name is a traditional Japanese name that means "ocean." He was born at 7:13 p.m. on Saturday, August 25. He was 6 pounds, 7.6 ounces and 18 inches long.

My water broke at 5:30 a.m. and Neil and I were shocked!  I was two weeks early and even earlier when you figure I had to be induced two weeks late with Niko.  We had our bags prepacked, but we really weren't prepared for this.  To make things a bit more complex, now we had to wake up the soon-to-be big brother and get him in the car too!


We got to the hospital around 6:30 a.m. and so our day began.  I was still only dilated to 1 cm and I walked the halls like you see on TV.  After 4 hours of walking with little results, I was again put on pitocin.  Ugh.  After 4 hours of 'active' (pitocin) labor I was in a lot of pain and broke down and had another epidural at 5 p.m.  This time was not as easy as the first time and I had to have two people try to put the epidural in and got poked several times... not fun.  I was in much better shape by 5:30 p.m. and within an hour went from 5 cm to full dilation.  Woot!  Go epidural!

The doctor arrived around 7 p.m. and after I was prepped, little man was delivered after a push and a half!  It was CRAZY!!!!  We had a much different experience for Ryker's birth than Niko's birth. It really is easier the second time around like they said!

We were thinking of naming him Kaito as his first name and calling him Kai, but he looks a bit more like my side of the family than Niko so we wound up naming him Ryker Kaito instead.  :)

1 comment: